Thursday, December 11, 2014

Merry Mug Rug Blog Hop - Pleated Tree


Hey there!  When Jennifer of Ellison Lane asked me if I'd like to participate in her Merry Mug Rug Blog Hop I was happy to oblige!

I thought it would be fun to make a smaller version of my pleated tree block.


The original block is 8" x 10", but you can make this block pretty much any size and even a little wonky if you like!  I'm including some pictures from my original tutorial below - feel free to check out the complete tutorial here


For the smaller version, I pleated a 4" x 10" strip off a layer cake square.  Your pleated piece should look something like this ...


In my original tutorial, I used a solid white background.  If you are using a print, you'll need to cut two 6" squares.  Cutting each one on opposite diagonal angles to get triangles for the sides.


Sew the sides on one at a time and then add a trunk section along the bottom.

Trim to the size you want and add a border if you like.  I chose to add a scrappy-ish border of red prints from Miss Kate by Bonnie & Camille.


I used a red layer cake square for the backing and self-binding of my little mug rug.  It's quick and simple!  Check out this tutorial here that shows how I do this binding technique.

Thank you so much for stopping by today!  If you make a pleated tree project, I'd love to see it!  Link it up or tag me @sewlux on Instagram.

Happy Sewing!  :-)

5 comments:

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)