Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hexagon Block Tutorial

Hi and happy weekend!  I know for some of you, its a long weekend and I hope you'll be able to get some sewing in. :-)  A few of you liked the Innocent Crush Hexagon blocks that I had shown you earlier this week and asked for a tutorial.  I made a block today and took notes to give you all the details on this one.  This is my first quilt block tutorial, so if something doesn't make sense, please ask in the comments!  Also ... at the end of this post, I'll be announcing a contest.  Are you ready?!

Step 1:  Gather some pretty fabrics, a hexagon template (mine is 6-1/2") and your regulars (pins, scissors, etc).

Step 2:  Cut a hexagon from your focus fabric.  If your selected fabric has a specific portion of the design you want to show off, fussy cut as I am doing here.

Step 3: Cut six 1-1/2" wide strips of your border fabric. 

Step 4: Begin adding the border around your hexagon.  I started by adding strips along the top and bottom.

Step 5: Continue adding your border strips, working sides opposite each other as you go.

Step 6: Trim your block so it looks like this ...


Step 7: Now cut two rectangles 3-1/2 by 6-1/2",  (I used 3 x 6, but this doesn't leave much room for error, so next time I will use slightly bigger ones as I've instructed you to do!)  Cut them on the diagonal - one in each direction as shown.


Step 8: Attach triangles to the hexagon.

Step 9: Attach remaining triangles.

Step 10: Trim your block - approximately 8.5 x 9.5 (or wider if desired - just use wider triangles when building the block).

Step 11: Add your border (sashing) - I used 1-1/2" wide strips here as well.  Add top and bottom and then the sides.  (Note: if adding several blocks together, you may choose to add strips between the 8.5 x 9.5 block and then add one long sashing strip on each side. Hope that makes sense!)


Step 12:  Trim your finished block - mine measured 10.5 x 11.5".

So ... what do you think?  This is relatively easy but adding those triangles can be a little tricky but you can do it!  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial ... and again, feel free to ask questions in the comments and I will try to clarify for you.

Ready for the CONTEST?!  Make a hexagon block this week and share it on your blog (no blog? share a flickr photo) with a link back to this tutorial post.  Leave a comment on this post with a link to your project so we can check it out.  When you add your link in the comments, we'll enter your name in to win a half yard set of each of the Innocent Crush fabrics featured in this tutorial project. The deadline will be March 1st.  Winner will be announced March 2nd.

Additional Notes:  All seam allowances are 1/4" and seams are pressed out (away from hexagon). If you use our tutorial, we'd love for you to link back to the tutorial ... and of course share your project with us! Thank you. :-)

UPDATED TO ADD:  You can make any size version of this that you'd like if you don't have a 6-1/2" template.  However, I am including a photo below that shows the measure for a 6-1/2" hexie if you want to try and make a template. :-)  Looking forward to seeing some blocks in blogland :-)

Happy sewing! :-)

9 comments:

  1. Can the block we make be any size?? I do not have a template to make one that large. I love hexagons so this will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this! I saw the hexagon block and loved it but couldn't figure out how to build it. Running to my craft room to try this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha - you can make any size version of this block for the contest. I've also added a picture to help you build a template if you'd like. :-) Thanks for the great question! - Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this block and tutorial. Thanks. I know what I am going to do later...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great time with this tutorial. Check out my trio of hexagons on my blog. Thanks for the great project Chrissy!
    http://katiehardinglam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My new ruler finally arrived! I'm really proud of my first ever hexagon block and enjoyed using your tutorial :) As a complete novice, I managed NOT to cut six 4" x 11/2" strips for the hexagon border, which was my first thought (oops).
    Here's a link to my block:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53186133@N08/5486180200/
    I was going to make this into a pot holder, but I like it so much that I think I'll make another couple and make a table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally got this done. I like it . . .but don't look too hard at my picture (bottom of post), I did not iron. I am already thinking of the fabric to make the next one.

    http://spicerquilts.blogspot.com/2011/02/oh-my-oh-my-and-teaching-hubby-new.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for posting this, I will have to try soon.Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this! I am working on my first hexie project ever and the written instructions I have were not detailed enough for me to visualize it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)