Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Charming Peeps Quilt

Hiya!  Remember this sneek peek?  I finished up the binding and took some photos today.  :-)  Here it is ...

I really heart this little quilt.  I won the set of 12 Castle Peeps charm squares in the fall during a quilt shop stash dash.  I played around a bit with the arrangement of the squares and eventually decided to go from lighter to darker hues.  And the white sashing just sets off all these bright colors. 

This quilt is really easy to make and would be a great wall hanging or a quilt for a baby.  (Or in my case, just something pretty to admire for awhile. :)

Supplies:
  • 12 charm squares (5" squares)
  • 1/2 yard for sashing - cut 2" wide strips (I used Bella White Bleached)
  • 1 yard backing and inner border (green multi print) - for border, cut three 1.5" x WOF strips
  • 1/4 yard binding (solid green) - cut and join three 2.25" wide x WOF strips
Instructions (Sew right sides together with a 1/4" seam allowance!):
  • Arrange charm squares in a pleasing 3 x 4 grid. 
  • Add 2" x 5" sashing strips between charms.  You'll have 4 rows measuring approx 5 x 17. (Don't add any outside borders yet!  Just square, sashing, square, sashing, square.)
  • Add sashing between rows and join together.
  • Add sashing border along top and bottom of joined rows.
  • Add sashing border along left and right sides.
  • Add printed border (1.5" strips) - attach top and bottom, then left and right sides.
  • Add another sashing border (2" strips).
  • Quilt and bind as desired. Quilting and binding tutorial here.
Pretty easy peasy!  Mine turned out 24" x 30" and I quilted some straight lines using my walking foot as a measuring guide from the seam.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I really love the quilting.

If you decide to whip one of these up, I'd love to see it.  Please share with a link in the comments or in our Flickr group. :)

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute quilt Chrissy! One of these days I'm going to actually open my sewing machine and take a lesson from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I made one of these. Quick baby gift. I used some of my backing piece as the outside sashing. I also put a stiff batting so it can be a playmat or changing mat. www.katiehardinglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)