This guest post is part of the Get Organized Series!
Hi Sweet Friends! I'm Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock (and most recently the host of the Craftsy Block Of The Month), and I'm so excited to be guest posting today as part of the Sew Lux "Get Organized" series!!! Goodness knows I need all the organization I can muster!
My organizational dilemma arose after Christmas, when arts and craft supplies seemed to be on the top of Santa's list in our house. My two little girls just loooove them some craft projects, and boy did we get a ton this year. From modeling clay and suncatcher kits, to finger paints and pipe cleaners, it's all good fun, but there was no way I was going to fit all of our new projects into the small art bin I'd been storing on a shelf in the pantry (we live in a 1930s home that's big on charm and small on space).
Say hello to my hanging door organizer!!! With a yard of laminated fabric, a wooden dowel, and some string, I stitched up this custom pocket organizer for all of our artsy goodies.
Isn't it fun?!? The pockets are not only functional, but also a fun way to showcase a favorite print.
1. Laminated fabric doesn't fray on the edges, like regular woven fabric, so don't feel obligated to turn all of the edges under! I chose only to turn under the tops of the pockets (where they'd get the most wear), but the other 3 sides were left raw. Plus, no pressing! SO quick!
2. Lay out your items onto your main piece first, to get an idea of what should go where, and what sizes you need to make the pockets.
3. Instead of pins, try using masking tape to hold the pockets in place while stitching. Worked like a dream for me!
4. If your presser foot "sticks" to the laminated fabric, try putting a piece of masking tape on the bottom side of the foot to help it glide over the fabric more smoothly.
5. Think about stitching on elastic loops for holding odd shaped items like scissors or paint jars.
6. Get creative! Hanging pocket organizers are perfect for toys, books, shoes, sewing supplies, makeup, jewelry, office supplies... Totally customizable, and wipable!
Well, that just about wraps up my project! I hope you're inspired to make a hanging organizer of your own, or to experiment with laminated fabric (or both!). Thanks so much for stopping by!!