Saturday, January 28, 2012

Get Organized: Easy to Install Wall Railing System

This guest post is part of the Get Organized Series!
 

Hi! and welcome to another installment of the Get Organized Series. I'm Jenelle and I blog over at Echinops & Aster. Last year, I started on my first quilting adventure, making a lap-sized, embroidered quilt as part of the Embroidery 101 quilt along at Clover and Violet, and I haven't looked back since! In addition to quilting, I also love to hand embroider on everything, make stuffed creatures, sew up zipper bags, and plot my next big project. I am really excited and honored that Chrissy has asked me to share one of my personal organizational tips! 

In my sewing space, I have limited floor area, but a nice big blank wall that was just waiting for a bit of creative utilization. I decided to install a kitchen-type railing system (I got all of my components at Ikea) so that I could display and sort bundles of fabric, finished blocks, and have a place to hang my quilting rulers. 

Sewing Room Railing System

I installed three railings, spaced around 16" apart vertically, and staggered them slightly so that I would be able to hang longer items, like my 24" ruler, without having any overlap onto the next railing.

Sewing Room Railing System

I also installed a simple wall shelf above my railings to utilize all of the space up to the ceiling and to have a place to store some items horizontally like finished quilt tops, embroidery supplies in zipper pouches,  and larger stacks of fabric.

Sewing Room Railing System

I have also found that pant hangers make a great way to sort and display finished blocks. You can just clip a couple together and hang them up so that the next time you start working with them, they will be easily found and wrinkle-free. 

Sewing Room Railing System

Finally, my last trick was to use some easy to find "S" hooks to hang my quilting rulers. You could also use these hooks to hang scissors, embroidery hoops, and other notions. It's been great to have all of my rulers in one place rather than hidden under a stack of fabric somewhere. :)

Sewing Room Railing System

Since installing my railing system, I have found that the best part about it is just how flexible it is. If I am working on a quilt top and I need a place to hang it up to take photos or just to get it out of the way, I can easily clear some space off the top railing and hang the top using a couple pant hangers. So simple! Thanks for letting me share my organization ideas with you and best of luck with getting your sewing space whipped into shape. :)

5 comments:

  1. I love it and if I had my own space I think I would definitely be considering this option. I love how you hang your finished blocks too. Everything looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that looks lovely! Maybe someday I will get this organized. :) Would be perfect for hanging quilt blocks you mean to get around to joining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I like that I can see them and thus not forget about them. ;) Hopefully this will keep my WiP's in shape!

      Delete
  3. I tried this and the ikea hooks won't go through the holes in my clear rulers. Did you have to bend the hooks some?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)