I finally finished this long overdue quilt this weekend ... of course, it didn't take as long to finish as I thought it would. In fact, I quilted it and bound it in one evening. But I am glad to have it done and will be turning it over to its owner very soon and know it will be well-loved. :-)
The pattern for this quilt is my "Tifton Tiles" quilt. You can find the free tutorial for turning a stack of 9 FQs into a quick and easy to piece (and generously sized - approx 49" x 59") lap quilt here. The original was a quilt that I whipped out for a Christmas present for my mother-in-law on a short time frame.
Like the original, I quilted this one with a meandering stitch all over. This goes pretty fast and is easy to do. :)
I did try something new on this one ... machine binding! Ack! I followed the tutorial from Rita at Red Pepper Quilts. The tutorial is really good, but its definitely something I need to practice more. I did cut my strips 2.5" wide and used a slightly wider seam allowance than 1/4", which I usually do.
I will definitely try this again ... but I will use a LOT more pins. I felt like I did a really good job of stitching in the ditch on the front - almost all my stitches were fairly unnoticeable. But I definitely missed some spots (as seen on IG) that I had to go back and restitch. It's not horrible, but its not perfect. But about 90% was caught in the stitching the first time so I feel pretty good about that for about 225" of binding! I think more pins might help or using some Clover clips between (or instead of) pins. Going slow, lots of pins, using an increased stitch length and a walking foot are my best tips for you. I might quilt up some scraps sometime to practice the corners. With all that said, there are some quilts I will likely still hand stitch the binding on, but if I get a little closer to perfect on this technique, I could definitely see myself becoming a convert. :-)
In other news, I did take this quilt to my guild meeting yesterday and then wimped out of show-and-tell after several people shared much more intricately pieced and quilted projects. Totally silly of me I am sure. But after the one woman who appliqued a tree and all sorts of animals native to Australia all over the BACK of her quilt, I felt a little simple with my kid-friendly, utilitarian quilt. After thinking about that more today, I feel even sillier. This quilt will be no less loved (and likely more used) than those "better" quilts. I'm promising myself not to wimp out in the future. :-)
Happy Sewing! :-)
Pattern: Tifton Tiles by me (Chrissy Lux) (free pattern tutorial here)
Fabric: Scoot by Deena Rutter for Riley Blake
Size: 49" x 59"