Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer Break Block Tutorial

Hi again!  I promised a tutorial for my Summer House blocks and I was planning to call this quilt "Summer Break" since (a) I am using Summer House and (b) I designed it over my summer break!  I'm real creative when it comes to names, I tell ya!  :-)

Let me say that I am sure this block pattern is not new or earth shattering nor do I think I'm the only person who ever thought it up ... but I did dream it up in my sketchbook and here's how I chose to make it. 

For each block, you will need one 5" center square and six 2.5" x 5" strips.  If you are using a 42-square charm pack with solid centers (cut from yardage), one charm pack will yield fourteen 8.5" blocks. If you use centers from the charm pack, one charm pack will yield ten 8.5" blocks.  Hope that makes sense. 

Let's play with Late Bloomers for the tutorial.  I am using centers from the charm pack.  (For my original, I used Bella Snow yardage to cut center squares.)

So, from your charm pack, choose a center (or cut a 5" square from solid yardage or use a charm from a solid charm pack) and choose 6 additional charms for the border.

Now, carefully stack the 6 charms and cut them in half like shown.  (You can cut 2 or 3 at a time if you are more comfortable doing so.)

Now, layout your block.
 

Stitch the top and bottom pieces to the center square and stitch the two side strips together. (Sew RST and use a 1/4" seam.)
 

Then attach the sides to the center piece.  Use a ruler to help you line up the seam with the middle of the block. (Sorry for the dark photo.)

Press your finished block!

I trimmed my blocks (not shown) to 8.5" square to even up the edges nicely.  :-)

Note: for the Summer House blocks, I cut all the charms in half and then just randomly pieced side strips and pieces to the top and bottom of the charm square.  When using centers from the charm pack, you may wish to be more deliberate about fabric placement.


Please let me know if you have any questions.  I'd love to see your projects if you use this tutorial! :-)

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can do this...I am wondering...should I use my Bliss Charm pack...hmmm.....decisions, decisions. =) I'll let you know when I get to it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog...Lucky me! Love it...and love this block tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)